Thursday 2 January 2020

Super Moist Bran Muffins

Over Xmas week, I christened my new gift, a KitchenAid Mixer on a Stand, by making this  cherished recipe passed down to me by me aunt, Joy Collingridge.  It was an added bonus for me to discover that this recipe is in keeping with my new year's resolution to be more health conscious about the desserts I make.





Notes:  1) Makes 24 Regular Sized Muffins. 2) I substituted 1.5 cups of regular brown sugar for 1 cup of Splenda Brown Sugar). 3) Don’t bake the 1st day.  Can keep bowl in fridge for up to 7 days and bake muffins fresh daily. This recipe may be doubled to make 48 muffins. 4) On the Weight Watchers Ap, this muffin recipe is 5 points each ( 4 if dates are omitted).

Ingredients:
1 cup boiling water
1 cup All Bran Original cereal (soaked in boiling water)
2.5 cups of flour (I use All Purpose Flour)
1.5 tablespoons of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
2 cups Bran Flakes cereal
1 cup Splenda Brown Sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1/8 cup molasses
2 eggs
½ (2 cups) quart of Buttermilk
Optional:  I used 1 cup of No Name Dried Chopped dates.  You may choose 1-1.5 cups of raisins instead.

Instructions:
In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and stir in Bran Flakes.
In a separate bowl, cream shortening, sugar, molasses, and eggs.  Add the All Bran (soaked in hot water) mixture, then stir in the buttermilk.  Mix all ingredients together. I used a KitchenAid mixer stand set at a speed of 2 with a beater for cookies, cakes, or muffins or you can mix by hand.  Then add fruit (if desired) before scooping into muffin papers.
Bake:
Set oven at 375 F. Bake for 23-24 minutes.



No comments: